How I Deal with Life.....

How I Deal with Life.....

Sunday, September 16, 2012

Just Another Manic Sunday (?)



Really difficult to watch the news and see protestors burning the American flag in Egypt, Yemen, and other countries.  Four Americans dead, and who knows how many others. So sad and so indicative of the evil and harm that misdirected and misguided zealots can impose. 

There's an informative NPR article interview with President Mohammed el-Megarif of Libya who called the attack preplanned by Al-Qaeda.  He insists that the outrage over anti Prophet Mohammed film was nothing more than a "red herring" used to cover the fact that the American Embassy attack in Libya was preplanned.


On a personal note:

Felt a little strange going to work on a Sunday today, but then again I am no longer able to keep up with the days of the week well.

Today went well with the girls. There is one tenth grader I am going to have to get firm with. She pulled out her laptop during break and was blasting music (American pop). Took me by such surprise and shock that I didn't know what to say to her. Tomorrow nice "Miss" goes away and firm "Miss"  rears her head. I thought I had to deal with kids sneaking music into class only in the States..



Every morning we gather for a morning assembly at 7:45 a.m. All of the staff and girls (K-12)  meet under a huge awning in the courtyard. The girls line up by their respective grades, a staff member reads aloud to them, they all chant something (I don't know what they are saying)  in unison, their national anthem is played, and then one of the girls reads a verse from the Qur'an. I enjoy the time and think it's a good way to jump into the school day.

Lining up in the morning 



I did teach the girls how to do The Hokey Pokey today because, as we all know The  Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about! They laughed and giggled and had a great time. By the end of the song they were singing all the way through.

Here's one of  my classrooms. The teachers change classes- not the students. This is the tenth grade room.

 We have two breaks every day for about fifteen to twenty minutes each. On the first break the girls grab a tiny sandwich and drink from the small canteen on campus and they sit in the shade and visit. It's not lunch; just a midday snack. They eat lunch at home around two or three p.m.

Today's' first break:


Leaving campus today as I stood by my parked car (that must have been 135 degrees inside) I too this photo of the view from the school. Beautiful, but desolate and haunting.. the colors in the sand seem to shift colors from deep red to orange to beige.


 On the way home I stopped off at the Abela grocery store and found a Marie Callender's chicken pot pie. My heart almost skipped a beat!! I picked it up to make sure it was real, and then took it immediately to the checkout line. I brought the frozen pie back to the hotel, popped it in the microwave, and six minutes later PRESTO!  It comforted me immensely.  Then I took a nap.

The nap was a giving in to "Arthur". He has been trying to bite my ass again and I won't let him. I am sure I have just physically worn myself out these past three weeks, in addition to the mental stresses of trying to get used to a new culture, food, school, co-workers. I feel as if the entire underside of my ribcage is inflamed and it hurts to take a deep breathe. A good night's sleep will help a great deal.  I have twelve years experience in dealing with "Arthur", so I'll get through this flare. Just a thing!!

I really miss My Jim.



No comments:

Post a Comment