How I Deal with Life.....

How I Deal with Life.....

Sunday, May 20, 2012

On Being a Military Brat

What I learned from growing up as a "Third Culture" Military Brat:

There is less racial discord in a military culture and that is what I loved about being a Brat (and yes, I wear the title proudly).  This was especially true when the family was uprooted and placed in another country. We banded with other military families across all racial, religious, and cultural backgrounds.  When planted on foreign soil, we become less identified with our own race and religion and more identified with our common nationality. It was an Us vs.Them mentality.  I haven't felt that kind of kinship since my dad retired.

We never had Xmas photos showing the entire family together because there were only the four of us.. someone had to take the photos (usually dad!). This was taken in downtown Iraklion, Crete in 1970. The floors were marble and all we had for heat were two small kerosene space heaters. Thank goodness it didn't get too cold there. The following year we were placed in base housing and there were actually other American kids to share Xmas morning toys with!



No comments:

Post a Comment