How I Deal with Life.....

How I Deal with Life.....

Monday, May 27, 2019

The Zen of Baking Cookies


There’s something infinitely soothing about baking a batch of homemade cookies late at night while the world sleeps. I sift, measure, add, and stir, and each step of the process slows the beating of my heart and gives me a sense of control over an oftentimes uncontrollable world. I shift the flour, baking powder, and salt in one bowl and then slowly and methodically cream the eggs and butter with the sugars in another. Then I blend both batches together and mix and mix until my wrist is aching from the exertion- no electric mixer for me; that’s cheating. 

            Next I knead in the chocolate chips, like small raw pearls, into the dough. The heat of the oven escapes as I open it. I place the pan of raw cookies inside like an offering to a god. Do your magic, God-of-the-Oven, turn these chunks of raw dough into cookies as golden as a summer morning.

             When the cookies turn the soft tan of a tabby cat, all crisp on the edges and gooey warm in the middle, a small quiet victory pushes all my thoughts away from politics, death, taxes, bills, and hurt. There is just this moment and the cookies, soft and hot from the oven, the sweet sugared chocolate melting over my tongue like a prize.



No comments:

Post a Comment